
Source? [Number 04]
So, let me just start out by saying that the main reason why I chose this picture is because it's the one that related to me the most. Being an addict to fashion and all things stylish, I have done the double mirror thing...
With that out in the open, let's analyze the girl, shall we? Girls, then and now, spend a good amount of time getting dolled up for something (like a hot date, just for fun, habit, or other reasons]. This girl obviously cares about her fashion choices (that is if she had one) for she is using mirrors to check out her hairdo. Japanese women cared deeply about their hair so much that they would either have it professionally styled and/or get it done every few days. In order to prevent their hair from being messed up as they slept, they would have their heads elevated from the base of the neck.
Notice how the girl stares at herself in the mirror. She's staring directly down at the mirror, concentrated on her hairdo. Notice the way she had posed her body, perfectly still in order to best get a glance at any loose hairs. Her one arm is relax and gentle (the one she is looking at) and the other is stiff. This allows her to have complete control over the line of view. To me, it seems as though there is a wrinkle on her forehead. Looking at the picture more closely, there are a few strands/chunk of hair that came loose. This could be causing the girl to be frustrated for she spent all that time on her hair, getting her hair done, or the hairdresser messed up the hairdo. Her mouth is also slightly turned down, adding to the frustrated look.
Now for the place!

Source (again!)[Number 15]
I absolutely love the beauty of this picture! My first impression of it was how simple the architectural was and how involved the Japanese with nature.
The houses are made of a very simple design. Instead of the roofs being made of tiles or shingles like in the Americas, the Japanese roofs were made of thatch, giving a more naturalistic feeling. It was even more available than shingles, which made it easier for those in the lower classes to get a hold of them. The Japanese had worked around nature in order to build their villages. Notice how the trail leading upwards has rocks in the way as well being uneven. The trail even follows the way of nature, rather than forcing nature to do what the humans want (to make their lives easier by having a shorter/more direct walking path by making the path go straight through the hills.) Basically, Japan is one with nature and respects the beauty of it.
The first picture, I have done that double mirror thing too :). In these days, many women had so complicated hair style but most of them had it with not messing it up. I can tell that people were really concerned about their hair style.
ReplyDeleteThe second picture, this is so beautiful! Ancient Japanese did not cut tress and they chose to coexist.
Your analyze are very good and I like the pictures that you chose ;)
I'm glad I'm not the only one then. Haha. It also doesn't help that I take part of a fashion blog.
DeleteWhat women do for fashion is really inspiring and amazing in most cases. The Japanese women during this time were truly decided to looking good (as do most Japanese women nowadays). They went to great lengths to keep their hair looking the best. Probably paid quite a bit of yen to look that good.
I thought it was really beautiful, too. The fact that the Japanese had used nature as the design was one of the reason why I chose this picture.
Thank you for your kind words, Kaho~ <3
I thought your analysis for the girl with the mirrors was well done. She did a certain feeling of tension in her body that was enhanced in the photograph. She does seem very concerned about her hair and how it looks. In the places picture, the tree relays claims most of the attention in the photograph. Though it is far from the camera, it still has the most presence to me.
ReplyDeleteIn the picture, which came out smaller than I expected, you could see better that her eyebrow was full of tension as she looked in the mirror.
Delete