
Source: Google Images. http://www.fourhman.com/blog/images/pocky-romance.jpg
For this assignment, I decided to do Teaching for Japan but then I switched it to Ganguro, an advertisement Ben Stiller did in Japan, and then a Britney Spears Suki Candy commercial. I finally landed on everyone's favorite Japanese import... POCKY!
Right off the bat, one could see this beautiful woman in a romantic, floral-filled field as she gazes into the distance. Her clothing and the Pocky she is holding are both the same color. However, what pops out the most in the picture is the bright blue Pocky box in the right hand corner.
So let's go into more detail about this woman. As she stares into the distance, she gives off that innocent look of being in love. The words, "それはそれはハッピーなデコ," encourages that romanticized feeling of love. Is she necessarily thinking of a lover? Most likely. Is it human? No, it's the Pocky. She has an innocent love for this delicious biscuit treat. To add unto this image of innocent love, her outfit and fields of flowers are shades of light hues, majority of them being the color pink. Pink is the color symbol for innocence, happiness, and sweetness. All these adjectives are non-verbally describing the taste and feeling of the Pocky that she is promoting. The word "happy" even appears in the text, further assuring us of the happiness it will bring.
To put it frankly, this type of Pocky will bring you happiness if you eat it as well as give you the feeling of an innocent love you may had once in your life.
I love Pocky! And she is in love with the Pocky. I also felt that the women has a kind of dignity from the way she dress and the background of the picture. In addition, this Pocky is not just a general Pocky. It's decorated! So, I felt that this Pocky is expensive than the other usual Pocky.
ReplyDeleteKaho~ <3
DeleteHmm, that's a good point you bring up about the decorated Pocky being more expensive than the other usual Pocky types. So do you think that it's a possible indicator that she's either more dignified because she could afford the more expensive Pocky (meaning she's richer) or just that this type of Pocky will give you that richer/more dignified feeling?
I agree with Kaho in saying that she looks really in love with the Pocky. She seems really excited about the possibility of enjoying the Pocky. She even seems content in just looking and holding the Pocky. The thing is it would almost not be about Pocky if the box was not in the picture.
ReplyDeleteRiley-san,
DeleteI agree with what you are saying about if the Pocky box was not shown than the meaning of the advertisement would be different.
I love Pocky too! And so does the woman in the photo. I like how the color of the shirt the woman is wearing, and the color of the flavored Pocky, and the color of the meadow are all pink. You know that feeling when you eat something really good, you feel that sudden happiness? By the way she's gazing, it portrays Pocky as a snack that is so delectable and will make you feel really happy.
ReplyDeleteI agree with what you are saying here about the Pocky giving her that feeling of sudden happiness. I think we all experienced that at least once in our lifetimes.
ReplyDelete