Friday, April 27, 2012

Tattoo: Update #2

I am almost finished with my final paper but, sadly, it won't be finished until sometime this weekend due to the amount of work and papers I have to complete. So I'll just get into the current update of my project: (I hope you don't mind my copying and minor modifying of the previous post): I first start out by discussing the different influences of tattoos - wabori (Japanese) and youbori (Western). Within the wabori section, I broke it down irezumi, munawari, and kishobori. I also included a paragraph on how the traditional tattoo master inserts the ink. I then moved onto the youbori tattoos. After I described all those, I briefly mentioned the thoughts of Japanese people according to a study I had found conducted in Canada. I did take notice of how it's not completely accurate because it was conducted with few people. After that, I had talked about the history of tattoos in Japanese culture. Next, I talked about the different tattooed people - which I had divided into three groups. Those groups are Ainu people, yakuza, and non-yakuza people. In the non-yakuza people category, I included everyday people, celebrities, and perhaps the tattoo master themselves. Within the categories, I discussed the thoughts of the tattooed people and those those around based off the interviews and articles I had read. I still have to write about the symbolism of the tattoos themselves - so the meaning behind the background print, the character they chose, and the detailing (such as flowers). Would this be more appropriate in the first section where I discuss the different tattoo styles or after the people? I am also thinking about including videos but keeping it short and figuring out which would be the most beneficial. Thank you for taking your time to read this. I truly appreciate any and all input. ^_^

1 comment:

  1. Brennan-san,
    Thank you for the very detailed update. It's perfectly fine to repeat; this is a good exercise for you to do, and it makes the project cohere better in my mind. The only thing I would suggest is to try to do some analysis (visual or, in your case, socio-visual, if that's a word) in some depth, since my only concern is that you may be trying to do too much. Not that I want you to pull back, because I am very impressed by your ambition in this project! As for the designs, my first thought is that it should go earlier, in your discussion of different styles, rather than later. But I will trust your judgement in this. I'm really looking forward to the final project.
    MM

    ReplyDelete