
219
On one of my first days here, I was taken to an etiquette class for young ladies. Oh, how delighted was I when I first stepped into the room of all proper young girls learning the do's and don'ts of society. Though I am not familiar with the ways of the Japanese, they sit with straight backs so I definitely approve of how they hold themselves up. They're hair is neatly tied back in braids, except that one hooligan with a ponytail. I hope she got a deduction in points for going against the rules! However, I did noticed that all the ladies are sitting with their hands nice and neatly in their laps. Very good, very proper of them. Though I don't know how I feel about them sitting on the floor...

102
Ah~ preparing the girls to become helpful and productive women in the world. I highly approve of this. They are being taught the womanly ways to be a good housewife. Their white aprons are in tip-top shape as well as having their long hair pulled back. Good and comfortable footwear is always important so I applaud them for their smart senses. Everything is organized by object so the necessary skills in the household are being well taught by the Japanese people.

134
These young girls are learning the helpful skill of being taught the feminine ways of sewing. They are all wearing such colorful clothing showing off their young and lively spirit, as well as their dedication to this fine art of sewing together materials. However, any smart American woman would remember to wear tighter sleeves in order to make no mistakes of getting one's clothing caught in a machine. And look at those braids. If they were all properly trained, a bun would be much better and less of a distraction. At least some girls were properly trained to do so. They all so serious, except the second on the far right. At least she has some appreciation for this fine art.

035
What is this madness?! Women who are playing such a physical sport?! Have they no respect or decency? I am well aware that women in the United States also play such a pointless sport, but I had more hope of the women of Japan. Oh how I am disappointed. They are wearing a white shirt that could easily get wrinkled - or even worse, dirty - as well as skirts that are just below the knee. What if the girls get too into the game and decide to jump for the ball? I mean, there is a man right there on the left-hand side watching. Probably a sick pervert trying to get a view of what the young ladies are wearing underneath their skirts. That, or he is the ball boy. Either way, he is probably disrespecting the ladies. There are many people watching in the crowd in a far off distance - most likely a mix of males and females.

064
Oh, Japan. I had such high hopes at the beginning of my trip on your etiquette. Letting girls to play such a man-ish sport is completely unheard of. They are playing in their school uniforms and in such a dirty environment as well. And that person in yellow pants, is that a man? Of course a man would allow young women to play such a thing. Their manners are not as superior to those of a woman, so they would bring women down to their level. Typical male.
*************************************************************************
For this assignment I took on the persona of an etiquette teacher from the United States. She is doing research on how the Japanese society was different compared to American society. She primarily focused on the school girls in her American school thus, she continued her ways over into Japan... this was the progress of her travels in Japan. She had set ideals based off the beginning of her trip, but as time when on, she started noticing how the Japanese girls were not fit to her model and thought of them as though they were not as mannered as the students in her school.
Your persona seemed very real and accurate. It was interesting how her view of Japanese women changed over time. It's pretty funny how one minor thing (compared to modern standards), like playing sports, was a tipping point to someone who live in those times.
ReplyDeleteHaha, thank you! :) I am very glad that the persona came out the way I wanted. I wanted to have some fun with this assignment and create a person who was kind of uptight and would go crazy over such a simple matter.
DeleteKelly Chan <3
ReplyDeleteWell done on your analysis! As Neal mentioned above, I really liked how her view on Japanese girls changed over time. I especially liked when you started talking about Japanese girls playing sports. For a westerner who thinks Japanese women are very calm and polite, seeing these girls playing such "wild" sports would have surprised her.
Nara~ <3
DeleteThank you! ^^ It was really fun to take on the role of a foreigner who expected all Japanese women to be proper young ladies, rather than doing things that seem foreign.
I also enjoyed how your character's view of Japanese schoolgirls changed the more she saw of them. I was entertained how you singled out one particular person in most of the pictures. The "hooligan" in the first, the girl enjoying herself in the third and the two men in the fourth and fifth. Well Done!
ReplyDelete